Tuesday, November 11, 2008

House hunting

Well I made to New York safely on Monday morning after a long ride overnight. I guess it really wasn't that long since I slept the whole way, even though I really wouldn't call it "sleep" as more of "nodding on and off until something feel asleep." But it wasn't that bad of a flight and then my layover at JFK was fairly quick and my flight to Hartford was even quicker. The drive to Saratoga was not too bad, however, I got a little bit of every kind of weather. Sun, sleet, rain, and even a bit of snow...nothing major though.

I only looked at one house on Monday. Based on the pictures the owner had sent to, I was really excited to go and see this, thinking it could very well be "the one!" As soon as I walked in, I was immediately let down. The walls of the family room were stucco, the kitchen didn't have much cabinet space, and the garage had been turned into an extra room which I could have done without. With as cold as it is up here in the winter we need to have at least 1 car that goes in a garage. So, needless to say I walked out the door disappointed.

Today was much better than yesterday though. I had 4 to look at and 2 of them were a bust. Of the remaining 2, one is within our price range but will be a 45 minute drive for John to work, while the other is 300 over our BAH. We decided that we'd rather live within the BAH amount and him have to drive versus paying more than the Navy gives us. So when I called the realtor of that house and told her why we were deciding against it, she said she would contact the owner and see if they would drop it. She said she got someone else a house today that was listed for 2400 for 1850...that's some wheeling and dealing! So, I'm hoping that house will drop their rent asking price so we can take that instead...but we'll see.

So, those are my adventures so far. Keep your fingers crossed that the house in Saratoga drops their rent or that something else miraculously falls into my lap in the next day or two. I'll keep you posted...stay tuned!!