Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Problem with Steak

John and I went to dinner on Saturday night at Outback because I was wanting steak. 99% of the time when we go to dinner somewhere, I get chicken, and it's been that way for years and years. Whatever it is about this baby, I've wanted more red meat than I generally eat...hence the steak.

I've learned over time that when you order steak, it tastes better and isn't as dry and tough if it is a little bit pink in the middle. So I always order my steak medium well. The problem with ordering steak when you're out is that they just stick a meat thermometer in it and when it reaches whatever temperature, they say, "OK it's (whatever you ordered....medium, medium well, etc)." Or at least that's what I'm guessing happens. Unfortunately, my steak was more on the well done side. No pinkness, tough, and not the best steak ever...but it was steak, so I wasn't totally upset. When we went to Outback with John's family the night before Christmas Eve, I got the same thing, medium well, and I think it was more on the medium side, because halfway through it was bloody and red, and way too rare for my taste. I hope this steak kick goes away because I hate gambling my dinner on whether or not my steak will be right.

No comments: