So this post may seem a little out of place since Christmas is long gone and we've moved into the new year, but as I was taking down the tree and other Christmas decor Monday, it reminded me that I was going to post about this.
The Christmas spirit was nowhere on my radar this year, and I'm attributing that to the fact that I never felt like going Christmas shopping because I was either too tired, too irritated with the general public, or just feeling too sick to even want to go out of the house. Along with the lack of desire to go Christmas shopping came the lack of desire to send Christmas cards. I distinctly remember saying last year that between both of our families and friends, I felt like I was sending wedding invitations out all over again. And then, after all was said and done, we ended up hardly getting any from his family...most came from my family and our friends. I was irritated.
This year, I debated on whether or not to even send them to his family other than grandparents and parents. John said he didn't care what I did. But, the stupid feeling of obligation got the better of me and I sent them once again. Can I just say that I won't be making that mistake next year?? I think I sent 15-18 for his side alone and got 5 in return. Hell, I only ended up with 6 from my family (although I know 2 people didn't send them out so that's not an issue, and I know who does and doesn't send them) and even the lack of cards I got from friends was really disappointing.
Next year (or rather this year), I'm not sending the 50-55 I sent out this year. I'll send cards to people who sent them to me...so that'll be like 20-25. It's not worth my time or money to send out cards to people because I feel "obligated" to. (I'm having issues with feelings of obligation lately which I'm sure will be tomorrow's post). I don't know if it's the pregnancy hormones that makes this more irksome to me or what, or just the fact that maybe it really is shitty when you send a card to someone, and KNOW that they sent them to other people, but for some reason left you out of the mix this year? It sucks when family does it to you, although if it's not someone I'm super close with...it's whatever, but when "friends" do it...it just makes me say WTF.
This whole obligation thing has really got me heated...or annoyed...or just really thinking about what matters the most. And this post doesn't pertain to anyone who reads this since I know the very few people who read this, so please don't wonder if you're on this list of ranting. You aren't :)
1 comment:
You are cracking me up. I am just now catching up on your blog. So sorry our card was late...but I did send it BEFORE reading this! I agree with you but wasn't brave enough to put it in writing. People SUCK. I had the same problem this year and will definitely be cutting back our 100 cards next year! My favorite are the people that asked "Where's my card?" and I NEVER got a card from them but others did. WTF is so right!
Post a Comment