Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Cloth Diapers

I've been thinking a lot about cloth diapers since I found out we were going to have a baby. Actually, it's something that I got in my head last year when we had this couple over for dinner (the guy worked with John and they were friends) and they used cloth diapers with their son. She said she swore by them and loved them, and that's when I thought, "That's something I wouldn't mind doing when we have kids."

Cloth diapers have come a long way since I was a baby, so chances are they aren't the same as what some of you are thinking. The only problem is that there seems to be quite the variety of brands out there, I think I've come across at least 5, and I'm sure there are more. I can only read so much before I become completely overwhelmed and confused on which ones might be best, and just exactly how they work. Some have inserts and others have a cloth that you fold and insert, etc.

My friend Necole uses them with her daughter so I can ask her, but I want to know someone around here who uses them who can show me what they're all about. And right now, I don't know anyone up here who has kids that I'm friends with.

My mom keeps telling me I'm nuts for wanting to use cloth diapers and how much of a pain in the ass they are/will be...but it really is something I want to try. Of course they aren't going to be as easy as disposable, but I'm a recycle kind of girl. I know that cloth diapers are also quite expensive (some are $20-25 for one) but I figure if you bought enough of them (and they grow with your baby) you're going to end up saving a TON of money in the end. Granted, I may change my mind once the baby actually gets here and I try them out, but I'm really hoping it's something that I like and is worth the hassle.

No comments: