Friday, October 17, 2008

Adventures in Babysitting...And Then Some

Yesterday was my the first time I got to babysit for my friend Mary, whose daughter, Sophie, is 3 weeks old. First I have to tell you that she had Sophie dressed in a Halloween onesie with little black pants. She looked so cute! Mary told me that she put it on her just for me since I love Halloween so much. My friends knows I'm a freak and they help indulge me :) We chat for a few minutes and then Mary left to go get her eyebrows waxed. Well, she wasn't even gone for one minute before I heard it. Yes...IT. The dreaded dirty, wet, the, "Oh God, I'm gonna vomit it's going to smell so bad," fart. I looked at Sophie and shook my head. "You just had to do it didn't ya kid?" I said with a laugh. Being the smart person I am, I decided to wait a few minutes because I was sure it wasn't over. And I was right. A few minutes later, I heard it again. So I wait another minute or so and decided we could go for the change.

I picked her up, laid her on the changing pad, got a diaper and some wipes and prepared for the worst. Luckily, it didn't smell as bad as I had anticipated, however, it leaked out of her diaper, onto her onsie, the inside of her pants, and on her leg. Lucky me! So I gave her a Mexican bath, changed her clothes, and then we were fine. Oh, except it's been WAY too long since I've put a diaper on an infant, which resulted in what Mary called, "the low-rider" diaper." Yeah, I didn't quite get it over her little butt, so she had some crack showing. Thank God she didn't poop again before Mary fixed it and laughed at me! So sue me, if that's the worse I can do while babysitting, I think I'm alright :)

Today was pretty uneventful except for the usual things...working out, tanning, running errands. I did, however, get my Halloween costume and I am more than excited about it! I can't tell you what it is yet, you'll have to wait and see. We are throwing a costume party next Saturday which should prove to be a good time.

Oh, and here is my rant for the day. I went to the package store to buy a bottle of wine and some beer for tomorrow's Hail and Farewell party we have to go to. As I'm standing in line, I see the second cashier making a phone call asking about Visa gift cards. No big deal. So when she hangs up the phone, she starts talking to the other cashier who is checking someone out. Keep in mind, at this point there are 3 people behind me. So she finishes whatever she's talking about, and calls me up to ring me out. As she's scanning my 2 items, another guy that works there walks past me and the display at the edge of the counter to go around. As he walks by, he knocks off one of the bottles, it breaks, and spills everywhere. So the woman checking me out looks over, and says, "Oh my gosh, let me go get a mop." That's fine and all, but she walks away, and just leaves me standing there, I've already swiped my card, and it's waiting for her to push the debit on HER side of the counter. So I'm thinking to myself, she's just going to grab the mop and give it to him. NO!! She proceeds to start moping it up while I'm just standing there! And there are still 3 other people waiting in line! I'm usually pretty patient but for God's sake, the man could have mopped it up. It wasn't like there was no one there to mop it up and it was going to be a hazard to customers. After the other cashier finished checking out her customer, she came over and asked if I was waiting for something. I told her I was waiting for her to push the debit key. So she finished my sale, I thanked her, and walked out rolling my eyes at the thought of the cashier that just walked away while checking me out. Fantastic customer service!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I think these sorts of shopping experiences only happen to ME!!!

Anonymous said...

So you want to move to Louisville and be my nanny?? I hate those dirty diapers! I'm trying to talk Elizabeth into changing the baby, but she says no!!