Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Contemplating My Death?!?

Today, John and I went to Navy Legal to get his power of attorney squared away for while he's gone next month for 2 weeks, and then again for the deployment in December. This way, I will be able to rent a house without John being there to sign and all that good business. In addition to the power of attorney, we made updates to his will too. As we were talking to the attorney, she said that it was a good idea for me to have a will also and that she could do it in addition to updating John's. Now mind you, this is a pretty easy process in the Navy, they pass them out like candy to kids on Halloween. This is what all the guys have to do and keep up to date before they do a deployment.

For the most part, it was pretty cut and dry. But then there was talk of a living will and blah blah blah, and basically asking what you want done in the event of your possible death or in the event of you not being able to make decisions for yourself. I didn't know that when I woke up this morning that I'd be contemplating my death or the events that might possibly surround my possible death. That's some scary shit! At one point when we were talking about the living will, all I could say was, "I don't know." Death alone scares me. Sometimes I'll think about it at night (don't ask me why) and I think, "What if I didn't wake up tomorrow? That's it. No more anything...FOREVER!" That scares the hell out of me. I believe in God and Heaven and all, but just to think about the logistics of death is scary to me.

So, this is how I began my day. Fun times, eh? Thank God it was sunny today :) I'm taking a kickboxing class tomorrow with one of the wives, so I'm looking forward to that. It's getting late though and "The Ultimate Fighter" is one, so I'm going to go upstairs and watch with my husband. Then it's off to bed. I got up way too early to start the day with thoughts and talk of death. Ugh, makes me shiver....

1 comment:

Tricia @ Take 10 With Tricia said...

Wait until you have kids and have to decide what to do with them if you BOTH die. We picked guardians (and that was tough enough) and then the lawyer asked, "And what if they are divorced at that point, still want your kids to go to them?" Hadn't thought about that...now it's a morbid AND depressing conversation!!!