Thursday, January 1, 2009

Slowly, but surely

Last night proved to be an uninteresting and disappointing night. My friend Aaron whose flight was cancelled, took a flight back to Virgina (where he came from) rather than waiting it out and requesting to be put on a later flight. My friend Marisa who lives here, didn't feel well, and didn't feel like going out, so I spent the night at my house alone. I made a pitcher of margaritas, some dinner, and had some wine too, and watched a movie. I went up to bed a little after midnight and could see the fireworks in town from the bedroom window. To bad I only saw the last minute of the 10 minute show. Oh well.

Despite the uneventful new year, today was a very productive day for me. I got up between 9:30 and 10, hung around for a while and decided that I would do some serious work on putting things away today. I am pleased to say that I got my closet cleaned out and organized. I also got my bathroom put together (minus new rugs) and my guest bedroom (for the most part) in order too. There is still much more to be done as far as accessorizing goes, but putting the clutter away was a big step for me. I feel like I should have taken some 'before' pictures, but I didn't. So here are some 'after' pictures. I know it doesn't look like much, but trust me, it's a big step!

Here's the 'after' guest bedroom. Ready for someone to come and stay!
From Someday We'll Put Down Roots


And the 'after' bathroom'
From Someday We'll Put Down Roots


And the 'after' closet
From Someday We'll Put Down Roots


Now remember, this is all just what I did today (and a little bit yesterday). The curtains in the guest bedroom are only temporary and we'll be getting either blinds or some curtain rods here soon. I don't want to put up pictures of the kitchen, family room or dining room yet because they need pictures and what not, so it looks pretty bare. There so much that needs to be done and I feel like I'm getting nowhere! Slowly but surely, it's looking a little bit better. As long as everything gets put away, pictures and all that will come later.

The heating guy is supposed to come tomorrow to check out what is going on with the duct work. My landlord came by today to put a little thermometer in my bedroom and bathroom to show the guy that there is a HUGE different in the temperature between those 2 room and the rest of the house. I looked at it a bit ago....yeah, our bedroom is anywhere between 58-56 degrees and the thermostat is set at 65-68. Good thing I have a lot of blankets!!

Tomorrow's task is getting my cable, Internet, and home phone hooked up (or get an appointment for sometime soon) and to start on the den. Oh, and I need to have the landlord hook up my washer and dryer for me. I don't want to screw it up! Speaking of the washer, I opened the doors to the closet where they are upstairs and it smells like DEATH in there!!! I'm thinking that there is some water in the washer somewhere and it's moldy. It makes me want to barf!! Once he hooks it up for me, I need to run some empty cycles with bleach water and see if that works. If not, I read some things online that tell you how to remedy it. I hope the bleach water does the trick, but I'm thinking I might have to buy some of the product that people recommended. It's a brand new washer that's only been used for 6 months, but has been sitting in storage for 3-4 years. Let's hope I can remedy the situation!!

No comments: