Tuesday, May 26, 2009

2nd Interview

Today was my 2nd interview with First Niagra. I'd like to say that it went well, but on the other hand, there were some things that turned me off from wanting the job. I'm sure you're all thinking, "Go figure," but hey, I gotta go with my gut.

I met with the assistant manager and the head teller to begin with which was fine. They were both very nice and I got a good vibe from them. The only thing that kinda got to me was the talk of "selling products" to customer and having to meet "sales goals." All the years that I worked in banks, there was no selling of anything to anyone and having to meet quotas. The thought of it really turns me off because I just don't see how they can expect you to sell more products and services on people. I understand it to a small degree, but expecting you to sell so many services each month I think is a little bit ridiculous. If that's what you expect of your "tellers" than I think they need to refer to them as "teller sales reps" so that way people applying know what they're getting into. But aside from all of that, I tell myself I'm willing to give it a try.

After I spoke with the assistant and head teller, I then met with the manager who was nice enough, but I just didn't like the vibe I got from him. He seemed a little cocky and full of himself, and when he said he didn't have "hopes" for anything, but a "plan," I really just wanted to roll my eyes. I realize that many people are big planners and all, but you just can't plan for everything.

The other thing I didn't like about this guy is that he would ask me questions, I would answer, and then after I was finished answering, he'd just keep staring at me. I just kept thinking, he's a lingering looker!! I didn't have on a low cut shirt or anything, so I don't know what in the world he was looking at and why he just let his stare linger, but it was highly annoying. I don't know if he thinks it's a scare tactic or something, but it didn't scare me, it made me want to ask him WTF?

So after spending a little over an hour there, I'm now wondering what my fate will be with them. They introduced me to some other tellers, so I think that maybe they are interested in me, but only time will tell. I'm used to getting offered the job there on the spot, but maybe things work a little bit differently up here. Oh well, we'll see.

I am a little nervous if they do offer me the job because as I said earlier, the selling part of it really bothers me. But both my mom and John said, "Just try it and if you don't like it, quit." My mom had the even better idea to say yes if they offer it to me and if I really don't like it, work long enough to pay off the money I spent on fingerprints and the teaching application, and if I can stick it out a little longer, make enough money to pay to take the NY tests, and just get my NY teaching license. That way the money isn't coming directly out of our pockets. So, that might be something to think about. I also might like that job, but it's nice to have a plan to get out just in case.

1 comment:

Tricia @ Take 10 With Tricia said...

Have you heard anything? Don't worry...if you get the job and don't make your quotas, you'll get fired anyway. :) hehehehehe Banking is SO DIFFERENT than KSB. No wonder Peoples is having major issues. I actually taught the selling classes at the other banks where I worked. You'll do fine. Stick to needs-based selling adn your customers will luv ya. It's what you were good at at KSB, but just didn't realize it.