Monday, March 8, 2010

Soda Tax

This is just a rant. It doesn't really mean much to me or affect me, but I am slightly annoyed. New York wants to pass a tax on soda and sugary drinks in an effort to stop childhood obesity. I think it's a joke if they think that that alone is going to stop the problem. What about all the shitty food out there at the grocery that is marketed toward children. And have they seen what they offer to kids for school lunch?!? It's crap! When I lived in Vegas, there was 1 time that I forgot my lunch...and I made sure to NEVER make that mistake again.

Everything was processed crap, nothing was healthy and there were NO healthy alternatives. And 90% of my kids were on a free and reduced lunch program which means that that might be the only predictable meal some of them got. Taxing is not the solution, but I think education is...or at least the right path. People who are overweight need to be educated about the right things to eat and the right way to exercise. If they choose to ignore the information they are given, so be it, but forcing everyone to pay more for something in an already shitty economy just doesn't seem right.

Now this soda tax means absolutely nothing to me or John. We rarely ever buy soda, and if we do, it might be a 16oz from the gas station once a month, so even if they did tax it, it's probably not going to bother me. I just think it's ridiculous.

1 comment:

Tricia @ Take 10 With Tricia said...

I totally agree with you. We don't drink much "pop" at our house either. We keep some in the basement fridge for a special treat (for Andy or I, not the kids) or for if we have guests. I thought it was quite interesting that in "Let's be Healthy" week at daycare last week, the kids learned that juice is healthier than pop. Fine. Juice would be the choice I would make if those were the only two choices...but what the hell about WATER??? Our girls don't always eat 100% healthy, however, we really only offer milk or water to them at home. Stella usually gets one 4 oz juice box over the weekend as a really special treat. This kind of stuff just grates my nerves as well!