
Today John and I went to a place called Adirondack Extreme Adventure Course. I found it online last week when I was looking for places to take my parents when they come to visit us next week. I clicked on their webpage and knew immediately I wanted to do it. So I left John a note about it to check it out while I was at work and if it looked like something he wanted to do, to make the reservations and we'd do it.
So today was the big day and man, what an awesome time!! We got there around 12:15 and our start time was at 1. We got harnessed up, went through the demonstration course and there were set free to go at our own pace. There were LOTS of people there...lots of kids too, but it was truly a great time. The park consists of 5 courses for adults and after a little over 2 hours we had only gotten through 3 of them. We didn't complete the last 2 because John said his hands couldn't take anymore and we were both hungry. If we would have known it was going to be as physical as it was, we'd have packed a snack to eat between courses.
Looking at some of the courses when you got to them, I seriously wondered how the hell I was going to do some of them. I didn't know if I had the guts in me or not, but as it turned out, I did. I didn't want to be a chicken and I damn sure didn't want to ever fall. If you fall, you are strapped into a harness which catches you, but then you have to pull yourself back up onto whatever obstacle you're crossing and then finish. I think that would have been more work than trying to cross.
One that freaked me out when looking at, was called the Tarzan Jump. You stood on a platform (keep in mind you are in the trees, maybe 50+ feet in the air), clipped into the safety line on a rope, and then ran off the platform and swung over to a cargo net that was hanging mid-air, climbed up the cargo net and into the next tree platform. There are no nets below you to catch you, your only saving grace is the safety line you're clipped in to. I think I'd have been more inclined to fall if there was a net to catch you, and even though you're safe if you fall because of your harness, I never wanted to fall. I was too afraid to!!
The other obstacle that was the most terrifying was this log thing. It was basically a bunch of logs that looked like swings (individual log swings), some where straight and some were crooked, and you had to step from log to log. Keep in mind that as soon as you step on one, it starts swinging this way and that because you're trying to keep your balance, and then you have to step to the next one, but you have to be careful because if you step too fall, you lose your balance, and then all the logs start swinging. It was a nightmare!!! Those were the most difficult to cross and the ones that I was always afraid of falling off of. But, low and behold I made it through the 3 without falling.
My only regret (other than not packing a snack and forcing John to let us finish) is that I didn't take near enough pictures. So, here are the few that I took.

John crossing the zig zag logs. Very early on in the first course.

Me on the swinging planks. The early, "easy" version of the logs I was talking about.

Me on one of the first zip lines. The ones later were MUCH longer and went over trees and streams. Super cool!

This picture was later on in the 2nd course. As you can see, it's much higher than the first 3 pictures.
No comments:
Post a Comment